Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Can a submersible pump and manual pitcher pump coexist?

On Jan 31, 6:52 am, wrote:
Hi, I just had drilled a 145' well and installed submersible pump. It
has a temp water setup now (for construction) so I'm not completely
finished with my well system.

Is there a way for a manual pitcher pump and a submersible pump to use
the same casing? I asked my well driller and he said he doesn't know
how to do that. In my own naive way I would think the pitcher pump
could use even
the same drop pipe.

I just thought it would be a neat survival type thing to have a manual
pump. The Lehmans catalog has about a dozen to choose from.

--zeb

Yes, -if- you can fit two pipes into the well casing (shouldn't be a
problem).

The next thing is depth to water level. A pitcher pump is a suction
pump and you can only suck water about a max of 26 ft. There are
other mechanical pumps (lift pumps) that would work. More expensive
and more complicated but the only installation problem is fitting two
pipes down the well.

Yes, you could tee off the drop pipe near the top but the same 26 ft
max draw still applies. In reality, due to the need to suck the water
through the submersible pump you would lose some footage from that 26
ft.

Harry K