Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] zeb7k@hotmail.com is offline

Default Can a submersible pump and manual pitcher pump coexist?

On Jan 31, 11:07 am, "dpb" wrote:
On Jan 31, 8:52 am, wrote:

Is there a way for a manual pitcher pump and a submersible pump to use
the same casing? I asked my well driller and he said he doesn't know
how to do that. In my own naive way I would think the pitcher pump
could use even the same drop pipe.

How, in your naive way, would you propose to do that?

First I would assume that water can be drawn thru the non-operating
sumersible pump. Then what you would need is a tee off the drop pipe
near the top: One branch for the normal water line, one branch for
the
pitcher pump. Then you would need some sort of magic check valve
on the pitcher pump branch that would allow suction from one side
(pitch pump) but disallow flow if there was pressure from the opposite
side
(submersible pump). Is that naive enough?

I suppose it _could_ be engineered to coexist, but never seen it
done. As Doug says, simpler for short-term emergency/storm/etc.
solution is the gen-set which can provide the backup power for heat
and lights and food refrigeration at the same time.

I've not explored it, but in a similar vein have wondered if there
were any way to make one of the solar-powered small volume pumps
coexist--here, at least, would almost always be sufficient sun with
the exception of only day or two at a time at most and even then
unlikely to be so dark as to have no effect. Limited volume capacity,
of course, but for survivalist mode could possibly be adequate w/ some
preparation for storage.

I just thought it would be a neat survival type thing to have a manual
pump. The Lehmans catalog has about a dozen to choose from.

Might look to manufacturers of the pumps for possible solutions???

--
dpb