Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] l.vanderloo@rogers.com is offline

Default What size inserted bits?

Hi Arch

7/16=11mm, not very thick rod, you surely know that the depth you can
go "depends" dry, green/wet, endgrain, sidegrain, curly, knotty, etc.,
but I would expect not to go much deeper than 4 to 5 inches, maybe 6
before they would start to chatter.
3/16 inserts should be OK, I've used those, I leave them sticking out
very little and sometimes turn them so that they are working like a
shear scraper, like at 45 degrees, with a rounded end, not straight
across, (clear as mud I guess).
However is it not easier to use just some drill rod for those small
tools (swan neck) ?? the amount of wood to be removed is getting
pretty small, almost any decent steel rod would do, but I digress.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

On Jan 31, 2:12 pm, (Arch) wrote:
I found some 7/16 round steel rods lost in a corner of my shop and am
cobbling up some small inserted bit hollowing tools. I wouldn't sully
his memory by calling my messies, "Oland Tools".

I have some 3/16 round hss bits, but they seem a bit too aggressive.
Could be my technique since I have used square 3/16 bits without making
too many funnels.

What size bits do you all suggest for these small tools? Also what
length of exposed shaft do you suggest and what reasonable depth should
I expect to hollow to, say in cherry or mahogany, with a 7/16 crs shaft?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter