Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller Toller is offline

Default What kind of plug is this?

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

We just bought a used washing machine and when we brought it home we
realized that it has an unusual plug that will not our outlet. You can
see it he

http://www.math.drexel.edu/~pg/plug.jpg

Will we be able to connect our washing machine to the existing outlet
(which is three prong /L\and this plug is four prong).

Did the machine come with a manual? It should tell you how to wire for a
three wire cordset to match your receptacle.

If not, try contacting the manufacturer or post the brand and model; someone
here might be able to advise you.

As a last resort, you could probably just get a plug to match your
receptacle and connect both the ground and neutral to the neutral. It is
supposed to be done in the machine, but I can't see why doing it at the plug
wouldn't work; though I expect it is a code violation of some sort. Anyone
want to tell me why this is more dangerous than bonding in the machine;
aside from the difficulty of getting two wires on one terminal in the plug?