Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

Default how-to: replacing friction hinges on Alu tilt window

Hi all
I have a relatively small Aluminium-framed tilt window, around 2
foot (W) by 4 foot (H). The side hinges have worn out (there is a gap
between the window and the frame when closed) and I would like to
replace the hinges. I've bought some hopefully compatible replacement
friction hinges but am a little uncertain as to the best way to
proceed. It looks like the original hinges are riveted to the window
sides; presumably I'll have to drill these out and re-rivet them ...
do I fit the hinges to the frame first, or the window, and are there
any guides out there as to how to do this sort of thing?

Thanks for your suggestions. The window is only at a low height so
luckily I don't have to worry about falling off a high ladder whilst
having a go at this ...

Cheers
jon N