Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul M. Eldridge Paul M. Eldridge is offline

Default 20amp Circuit How many computers

According to the EPA, a typical desktop computer uses between 25 and
60-watts and a CRT monitor between 55 and 90-watts (they peg LCD
monitors at 30-watts). At the upper end, that suggests the combined
wattage of a computer and monitor would be in the order of 150-watts.

Source:
http://www.microtech.doe.gov/energystar/

According to an article published in this week's Economist, "a typical
desktop and monitor together use perhaps 150 watts."

Source:
http://www.economist.com/daily/colum...ory_id=8615835

Tufts University tells us "the average desktop computer uses about 120
Watts (the monitor uses 75 Watts, and the CPU uses 45 Watts.)"

Source:
http://www.tufts.edu/tie/tci/Computers.html

A 20-inch iMac "with both of Core Duo's cores cranked to 100 percent
utilization," is reported to consume just 95-watts.

Source:
http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterpri...keeps_its.html

So, if you wanted to be a bit more cautious, you might budget a
combined total of 200-watts per workstation. Again, we're told these
are thin clients and not high-end servers, so you wouldn't expect them
to be decked out with multiple hard drives nor power guzzling
multi-chip processors.

Cheers,
Paul

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 20:54:55 -0800, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

Well personally I would go by the wattage of the power supply, not what a
magazine article tells me, but I don't manage thin clients in my data
center.

I suspose you're probably more realistic here. If it were me I'd break it
out into at least 2 15 Amp circuits - not knowing anything at all about his
situation other than what little was provided. At least then you could
comfortably put something else on the circuit - like lights, a small fridge,
network routers, fans for the room, a radio, creature comforts.