Posted to alt.electronics
jasen jasen is offline

Default running 120V muffin fan on 240V

On 2007-01-30, wrote:
Deep down I already know the answer to this is NO, but on the off
chance someone knows something I don't...

I have an old Lincoln "buzz box" welder with a dead cooling fan. Parts
to fix will run $76 and change.

I also have a Radio Shack 120V muffin fan #273-241 that's the right
size. $25 is much better than $75.

The original fan is 220V. I can wire up the new fan as 120V, but what
would really be great is if I could wire it up as 240V. That'd move a
whole lot more air.

Will the fan be able to deal with the higher voltage?

no. stack two of them and wire them in series,

or put a 240V AC rated capacitor of the aproprite size in series
with the fan to drop the voltage it sees to 120V,

or see if you can find a centre tap on the weldder's primary and hook
one end of the fan to that.

Bye.
Jasen