Dean

Default Inches or millimetres ?

Quite so too. But he wasn't concerned with details like that. For instance,
because of the war he steadfastly refused to buy anything Japanese if he
could possibly avoid it. Looking back now, I admire him for those things
even though at the time I thought he was just a stubborn old mule. He had a
good argument for the superiority of Imperial measurements over Metric. He
said " Look, you go one inch then half an inch then a quarter then an eighth
then a sixteenth etc etc. Each time you double your resolution until it is
sufficent for the precision required. " I still think this argument has
merits.

Dean.

"Reto" wrote in message
om...
The Russians were metric so it had to be bad.

The meter was defined in 1889 ... so long before the russian revolution!