Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pillar Drill

In article . com,
robgraham wrote:
Not knowing how much use I would have for it plus being tight for
space I bought one of the cheap Chinese bench top pillar drills some
time ago. Been a perfectly adequate tool, but certainly if I was
going into the market again I would make sure the tool had a longer
drilling capacity. I also have my doubts that for drilling wood a
wide range of drill speeds is necessary.

Mine is permanently on the slowest speed. Worth checking how much slop
there is on the moving pillar (dunno what it's called) too. Although
adjustable, the groove the machine screw bears in might not be accurately
enough machined to minimise this without binding somewhere on the travel.

I agree about the capacity - with a vice in place there's not enough
clearance with longer drills.

--
*I love cats...they taste just like chicken.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.