Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Charles Schuler Charles Schuler is offline

Default out of focus GE tv

wrote in message
oups.com...
My husband recently purchased a plasma tv and decided to give our 32
inch, 10 yr old, GE tv to our son in his room. After hooking it up,
however, the picture was dark and out of focus. After messing with
the controls I was able to get a decent picture, but the lettering,
logos, guide, etc. is really blurry and out of focus. Should I dust
it out, someone told me to check the focus control on the high voltage
transformer inside the set. Does this sound right? Any advice would
be greatly appreciated!! Thanks, Kiani Pierce

Dark might indicate that the high voltage is low. There is a focus voltage
and an accelerating voltage ... both must be correct to achieve a sharp
image.

Dusting it out is probably a waste of time and could cause more grief. At
10 years, it is about at the end of its useful life.

I advise that you NOT adjust things internal to the TV.

Some repair shops offer free estimates ... check into that.