Posted to alt.electronics
PeterD PeterD is offline

Default running 120V muffin fan on 240V

On 30 Jan 2007 11:49:20 -0800, wrote:

Deep down I already know the answer to this is NO, but on the off
chance someone knows something I don't...

I have an old Lincoln "buzz box" welder with a dead cooling fan. Parts
to fix will run $76 and change.

I also have a Radio Shack 120V muffin fan #273-241 that's the right
size. $25 is much better than $75.

The original fan is 220V. I can wire up the new fan as 120V, but what
would really be great is if I could wire it up as 240V.

Only great for a few seconds... g

That'd move a whole lot more air.

The speed (and therefore the air moving capabilities are probalby
based on teh fact it si a syncronous motor--fixed to the frequency of
the power, not the voltage.

Will the fan be able to deal with the higher voltage?

For a few seconds. If it is thermally protected, it might last a bit
longer but still not a good idea.

How about two fans in series?