Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Larry is offline

Default How to cut 1/4 inch plastic, band saw or scroll saw

In article ,
PeterM wrote:
I'm wondering what is better to use, to cut 1/4 plastic sheet, by way of a
scroll saw or a band saw. Maybe you can also advise me as to the speed. The
sheet is only about 12 " long. Is there any lubrication necessary...Many
thanks for the help....paranoid grandpa.....

Different kinds of plastic will behave differently. I don't own a bandsaw,
but when I've used a scroll saw the biggest problem has been melting
and rejoining of the cut edges. For a straight line cut I've always
had best results with a tablesaw, the wide kerf & large blade simply
eliminate the melting problem. This includes lexan, plexiglass,
polyethylene and an unknown or 2.

--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf.lonestar.org