Posted to rec.woodworking
Strike Penguin Strike Penguin is offline

Default Need lacquer coating on gun stock parts in TX. Where to go?

I need some guidance. I'm working on a historical firearm project and I have
some stock pieces that I need finished. The pieces are a buttstock (about
12" long) and a pistol grip, in French Walnut, with a couple of coats of
Tried & True BLO already applied. What I need is for these two pieces to be
given a coat of yellowish nitrocellulose lacquer. I've read here that
lacquer yellows as it ages, but I have a couple of original pieces to serve
as a guide, and it looks to me like the original lacquer was
yellowish-orange in color. Here are pictures of those pieces, dated from the
late 50's:

Notice the color of the chipped coating on the metal:

http://www.theforbiddenjungle.com/of...wood_front.jpg

Spots where the coating has worn off, showing the old French Walnut
underneath:

http://www.theforbiddenjungle.com/of...1wood_tops.jpg

Another view of the wear spots, hopefully gives some idea of the coating's
thickness & textu

http://www.theforbiddenjungle.com/of...ood_corner.jpg

Worn spot up front:

http://www.theforbiddenjungle.com/of...frontright.jpg

The buttstock and grip (which I've had custom-made) need a coat to match the
original parts. I'd do this myself with some Deft, but Deft is clear and
it's not chemically accurate for what I'm doing, and besides, my living
situation doesn't afford me the space or environmental latitude to do any
toxic spraying. I'd rather have this done by a professional with the right
equipment. Can anybody suggest someplace I can go to have this done? I was
thinking there might be makers of musical instruments or furniture who'd be
willing to give my stock parts a coating of real nitrocellulose lacquer. I'm
in the DFW area of Texas (a bit closer to the FW than the D).

Thanks in advance for any help!