Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow Mike Marlow is offline

Default Deft Brushing Lacquer problem

"Markem" wrote in message
On 30 Jan 2007 00:35:43 -0800, "
wrote:

The SW product gives me a much more predictable finish, but it costs
twice as much. For finishing of the really good stuff, I use STARZ
brand lacquer thinner, guys that actually manufacture their own
products. It is expensive, but coupled with a gallon of "gunwash" for
cleaning the price isn't bad..

Now this is something I am going to try out on the Laptop tray. Last
time I sprayed lacquer fisheyes were a problem now, I know why,
hopefully I will be more successful.

Don't be too quick to jump on this Mark. Robert's comments are dead
accurate, so I'm not contradicting him at all, but most fisheye is caused by
contamination in the spray system. Typically, oil or water in the tank or
lines. I'd be looking there first. Always drain the tank before every
spray. Don't use oilers in your lines. Use water traps on your guns.

--

-Mike-