Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy Robatoy is offline

Default Deft Brushing Lacquer problem

On Jan 29, 8:17 pm, Bill Waller wrote:
I am using Deft Brushing Lacquer to refinish a mahogany table top. The first
coat appeared to go on well. The second coat developed what appear to be
craters in various places. I sanded with 320, cleaned with mineral spirits, and
recoated. The pock marks came back.

I have never used any kind of lacquer before.

Do I have to sand back down to bare wood and start over.

I really don't like finishing. -or- I should have stuck with shellac.

There are such things as fish-eye eliminators... what they are, are
some controlled amount of silicones.
The cause is likely to have been the use of a product like Pledge,
during the table's life-time. When that contaminant seeps through a
hairline crack in the finish, into the wood, and there will be lots of
those, they will never, ever come out. Sand all you want, you'll never
get to the bottom of the seepage.
Sanding sealers have better luck at plugging those silicone-laden
pores. Maybe two coats of a lacquer-based sanding sealer, unthinned.
Don't be shy, lay it on.
I have refinished some table tops and after a while, you will beat
them. Allow in the in-between coats to dry properly, usually 24 hours
at room temp. Scuff lightly with 220, go again.

After spraying a LOT of product over the years, I found the best way
to deal with fish-eyes, is not to fret over them too much.