Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow Mike Marlow is offline

Default Deft Brushing Lacquer problem

"Bill Waller" wrote in message

Mike, I have posted a couple of pictures of the problem on a.b.p.w.

A little more information:
The table was used as a dining table and then as a laundry table. The top

and
both leaves were sanded down to (I thought) bare wood. The final sanding

on the
wood was with 220, using an ROS. First coat was applied and with the

exception
of some large blotchy dull spots, everything seemed fine. The second coat

was
applied and the "fisheye" showed up. The surface was sanded with 320 and
everything seemed to be okay. I thinned the lacquer a little and applied

the
third coat; boom, they were back.

It's hard to say what caused the fisheye, but that's what you've got. Did
they recurr in the same place the second time? If so, there is some surface
contamination that is causing this and after two attempts to further
identify it are almost pointless. I'd seal it with shellac as I mentioned
earlier and gently apply another coat of lacquer. Go easy with the first
coat of lacquer so as not to disturb the shellac.

If the fisheye is appearing in different places than it had the first time,
you have a contaminated lacquer. Contaminates in the can (if they are not
of a related base) can often suspend in the lacquer and carry very nicely
onto your workpiece. I somewhat doubt this is the case from the way you
described the problem though.

The shop is dry, albeit a little cool: some where in the mid sixties.

Perfectly acceptable. Where the hell are you, that you are enjoying those
temps this time of year?

Hope this helps.

--

-Mike-