Posted to rec.woodworking
Don Fearn Don Fearn is offline

Default How to cut 1/4 inch plastic, band saw or scroll saw

I think it was "PeterM" who stated:

I'm wondering what is better to use, to cut 1/4 plastic sheet, by way of a
scroll saw or a band saw. Maybe you can also advise me as to the speed. The
sheet is only about 12 " long. Is there any lubrication necessary...Many
thanks for the help....paranoid grandpa.....

I dunno what kind of plastic it is compared with yours, but when I cut
a motorcycle windshield down to size so the rider can just see over
it, I use a sabre saw with a course blade at high speed for best
results.

Using a finer blade at a low speed *seems* like it should work better,
but then the kerf fills with liquifying plastic, whereas the coarser
blade makes a clean kerf.

Leave the protective paper on the plastic while cutting, unless it's
already off, in which case I recommend masking tape over both sides of
the plastic where you're doing the cut.

You didn't ask, but after cutting, I use a belt sander with
progressively finer grits of paper to smooth the edges, finishing with
a ROS and even finer grits until the final sanding by hand down to the
smoothness I want (usually 400-grit).

-Don

--
It was recently discovered that research causes cancer in rats