Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.equipment
Peter Hucker Peter Hucker is offline

Default Running an empty microwave oven

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 00:40:56 -0000, Bill Janssen wrote:

colin wrote:
"Peter Hucker" wrote in message
newsp.tmvmmskc4buhsv@fx62...

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 15:35:16 -0000, Snap Whipcrack..............

wrote:

Peter Hucker wrote:

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 16:49:43 -0000, Snap Whipcrack..............

wrote:

break it?

overheating, or a build up of microwaves over a certain level?

I'm concerned one of my pet parrots will switch it on! (Seriously, they do
stuff like that)

But where do you think the power ends up if it is not absorbed?

Same question, where do the light waves go from the light inside the
microwave? Same energy, just higher frequency and lower power. Same
place as the microwaves.

Light is absorbed into all sorts of things. Microwaves are NOT absorbed

into anything inside the oven. They are reflected completely by the metal
sides.

not completly, even if they were silver coated it would still not be quite
100%,
it bounces back and forth so quickly eventually even the smallest loss gets
multiplied suficiently to absorb considerable energy.

Colin =^.^=

While the microwave is bouncing around in the oven there will be
locations where the signal combines to generate
high voltages and other places where high currents are generated. These
locations can be in side of the Magnetron.

As long as it doesn't explode. I have a good mind to try it with my old one. Outside.

This exchange was overheard between the separated sections of the jail.
A male voice yells over to the female side: "I got 12 inches over here you would love to have."
The female response was: "Well, spit it out it isn't yours."