Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.equipment
Peter Hucker Peter Hucker is offline

Default Running an empty microwave oven

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 23:03:36 -0000, colin wrote:

"Peter Hucker" wrote in message
newsp.tmvmiiqt4buhsv@fx62...
On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 01:38:36 -0000, colin

wrote:

"Peter Hucker" wrote in message
newsp.tmrzqxxk4buhsv@fx62...
On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 14:53:25 -0000, Snap Whipcrack..............
wrote:

It dissipates. Where do you think the microwave transmitters on

mountain
tops power ends up? It doesn't go round and round the earth forever.

It's absorbed into water, in lakes for example.

A closed microwave has nothing that can absorb it.

The glass tray will usually absorb some of the microwave, basically when

its
empty the electric field builds up to such a high value that it

eventually
gets absorbed by something somewhere, or it ends up disipating in

sparking
wich can be quite spectacular if have two bits of unconnected metal

close to
eachother.

Brainiac Science Abuse (TV program) put a set of five swinging balls (one

of them office toys) in a microwave on its own. The microwave exploded
spectacularly after less than a minute. Can you explain that?

From what ive seen of braniac they probably filled it with something that
would explode spectacularly.
I wonder what the balls were made of, something explosive perhaps ?
ordinary flour or paper dust can make a very good explosive if mixed with
air.

You mean they were lying?!?

A colleague suggested that large metal objects might "short circuit" the magnetron and draw more power from it than it expects. I didn't agree or disagree, I know nothing about that sort of thing.

Caller: "Can you give me the telephone number for Jack?"
Operator: "I'm sorry, sir, I don't understand who you are talking about".
Caller: "On page 1, section 5, of the user guide it clearly states that I need to unplug the fax machine from the AC wall socket and telephone Jack before cleaning. Now, can you give me the number for Jack?"