Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George George is offline

Default End grain - wet or dry wood

"Olebiker" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have been roughing out bowls with green wood and am having a tough
time with end grain tear out. Does the end grain tear out less once
the wood is dry?

Depends on the wood. Real soft stringy stuff like the true poplars and
their kin are a bear to cut cleanly when green, but improve a bunch when
cured. All others I use cut better green, with the short fiber stuff like
maple beech,birch and cherry being the best. The thing to look for is heel
bruises, those compressed areas caused by trying to press the gouge rather
than letting the wood come to it. If you've got them, work to get rid of
them. Let the angle do the cutting, not your strong arm.