Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Minchin Bob Minchin is offline

Default Radiator bleed screw

"hogie" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 30 Jan, 20:45, "Bob Minchin" wrote:
"hogie" wrote in message

oups.com...

whilst bleeding my radiator i have managed to over tighten the bleed
screw and snap the square end off the rest of the screw. to try and
remove the rest of the bleed screw i have used a drill and some screw
extractors but have been unsucessful in doing so. the type of radiator
in question is an old type round topped radiator which does not have
the facility to use a spanner to bleed the radiator.
what i am wondering is if anybody has come across this problem before
and what have you done to resolve it?

We had this one recently and my idea was to abandon the broken one and

just
fit a new bleed screw in the other end of the radiator.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Thanks for getting back to me, what size did you drill and tap the
hole for the new bleed screw?

Thanks.

Hi Hogie,

No drilling and tapping needed just take out the blanking plug and fit a
complete bleed screw assembly. Thread is usually 1/2" BSP but there are
other sizes here http://www.toolstation.com/search.html?searchstr=69952
and you will need a little ptfe tape to seal it too.

hth

Bob