Posted to alt.home.repair
Dean Dean is offline

Default Drywall install question

On Jan 30, 8:32 am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , "Jack" wrote:
I am installing sheetrock vertically. Where the tapered seams meet, they
are falling on the center of the studs. When I attempt to screw down the
sheetrock at the seams, I am getting blowouts. Is there some sort of trick
or recommendation you have used to prevent this, other than using blocking?Don't tighten the screw down so hard.

--
Regards,

It's natural to want to angle the screws toward the center of the
stud but that pushes the compressed and brittle edge away from the
rest of the tapered part..try going straight in,,as in 90degree
angle..Leaving the screw a tad bit less than recessed (as Doug
stated)will help too but just a tad bit or it will interfere with
taping..If all else fails You can use const adhesive and only enough
screws to hold it to the studs,,the glue can be spotted every 12" or
so or aplied in a small continuous bead(or any combo),,drywall nails
may cause less "blowouts" too,,the field(center studs behind sheet)can
still be screwed normally..Also when screwing dw the most
screws(normal conditions)should be recessed without ripping the
paper,,this gives the best strength and longer lasting good
results..Screws that rip the paper do'nt need to be removed,,just add
one an inch away,,they can both be mudded as one at each coat..
Dean