Posted to alt.home.repair
comcastss news groups comcastss news groups is offline

Default Help with a clogged sink?

Got home from a week vacation and the bathroom sink drains very very
slooowly.
Asked my Daughter if she knew what happened? (her first time alone for a
week!)
She doesn't know of anything going down the drain????
I took apart the pvc trap under the sink. Inside of pipes are pretty slimy
but nothing there.
I ran a snake into the line going into the wall. It got about 5 - feet in
and hit something. That seem about where the line would connect to go down
so I don't know if I'm hitting an obstruction or a T in the line.???
Tonight I'm going to put the trap back together and fill with water and try
plunging the sink.

I don't want to do as my wife suggests and pour drain cleaner down the
drain.
If that didn't clear it I would then have to deal with caustic chemicals in
the line....

If the plunging doesn't work tonight what would be my next step????
By removing shelves downstairs I think I could get access to the plumbing.
If it comes to that I could cut the drain and replace part of it but
obviously I'm looking for a better solution???

What do you think is this just hair and gunk or a physical blockage?
I would think anything big enough to block the drain would have gotten
caught in the trap?
When I pulled the snake back, after twisting it, It did pull some crud out
but that could have been from scraping along the bottom of the plumbing.

I'm on a septic system that's in pretty poor condition.

Any suggestions other than calling in a plumber????

How about HOT water down the drain???

Or just keep twisting the snake at the obstruction and pulling anything that
hooks on back out the end??

TIA

Steve