Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default MDF ok for rail and stiles?

"N Hurst" wrote in message
The last time I routed MDF I got a bunch of "fuzzies" where the bit
passed (I was routing out a depression in a block). Is that a function
of the MDF or of my router bit?

I would use MDF more often, but when I encountered those fuzzies I
wasn't sure how to proceed. They didn't really sand out, and it just
looked crappy. I had to change my project materials to jummywood and
krylon!

Be aware that not all mdf is created equally, and certainly a top quality,
and sharp, router bit would be required.

I would look for a "mill" near you that supplies trim to the building
industry and see if they can either supply you with top quality mdf, or tell
you where they get theirs.

If you were in the Houston area, I would recommend The Detering Co, on
Washington avenue. Strictly as a go by, here is their website as an
illustration of what kind of company you would be looking for in your area:

http://www.detering.com/

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/27/07