Posted to rec.woodworking
David Starr David Starr is offline

Default How to cut 1/4 inch plastic, band saw or scroll saw

PeterM wrote:
I'm wondering what is better to use, to cut 1/4 plastic sheet, by way of
a scroll saw or a band saw. Maybe you can also advise me as to the
speed. The sheet is only about 12 " long. Is there any lubrication
necessary...Many thanks for the help....paranoid grandpa.....

For plastic you want the slowest speed possible. At high speed the
stuff melts and sticks to everything (the blade, itself, the kerf). I'd
go for the bandsaw over a jigsaw unless the work needs really sharply
curved cuts. Since it is only 12" long consider using a fine tooth
handsaw. Leave the sticky paper on the plastic for the cut.
There are various types of plastic, some harder, some softer, sold
under all kinds of tradenames. You might ask the counterman at the
plastic dealer which types cut more easily. I had a lot of trouble with
plastic cracking around drill holes in years past.

David Starr