Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Southern Electric say each mobile phone charger uses 100kWhoursa DAY!

wrote:
On 29 Jan, 11:34, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Roger R wrote:
"Jonathan" wrote in message

Have a look - how can they get it so wrong by a magnitude of.....???

The moment you are running the elctric fire, the wallwarts are zero
carbon opportunity cost, since you are using electrical power to heat
anyway.

The same goes for full water kettles, inefficient incandescent lamps and
the like.

One can imagine that if we had a fully integrated nuclear electric power
generation scenario, that use of electrical heating and wasteful
electrical products would be positively beneficial, if it meant that we
didn't need to use gas or oil to heat our homes.

I can see it now "Government initiative to replace CFL lamps with
'combined heat and light' lamps" .. "wasting energy is green" says
Greenpeace.."Rock star buys 500KW electric sports car"

and so on..

Energy from non-oil sources keeps creping down in cost. If this trend
continues, one day it'll be so cheap that materials will be the more
valued thing, not energy, and it cavity wall insulation might even one
day become seen as a waste of good materials.

But not in my lifetime.

Well not knowing yor age, and state of health, and the likelihood of
medical advances in geriatrics, thats is a fairly hard thing to be
definite about..

...but as far as energy goes, once the technologies for non carbon based
electricity come on stream, I think it will be a very rapid
transition..a decade or two at most.
Thse things are all driven by accounting: If the cost of a new nuclear
power station is less than the opportunity cost of continuing running a
gas power station..guess what. They will shut off the gas one.

NT