Loren A. Coe

Default Repair of Pressure Cooker (by a nitwit)

GMasterman wrote:
As I remember, my Mom's old pressure cooker had just an open tube on top that
served as a safety when a calibrated weight was set on top. As pressure biult
uo, the weight, which sorta looked like a solid metal jigger, would lift and
vent the excess steam. Bet it would not build more than a pound or two

the main vent is the same on the two i have, but the smaller unit used much
more water. the larger Presto develops 15lbs, it's marked on the weight and
you do _NOT_ want to just remove it while under pressuer, the contents foam
and it very quickly deposits it onto your stove hood or ceiling.

closer inspection today reveals a small nick on one of the mating surfaces
of the pressure regulator. also, the pressure stem is somewhat loose, while
it was not before applying heat. there is possibly a missing gasket/washer
which a little rtv should correct. i will ream the surfaces and try it
again. fun and games of the intellectually challenged with too much time
on hand... --Loren