Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Squeaky floorboards and carpet

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 23:10:42 -0500, "mwlogs"
wrote:

What's your plan of attack once you pull up the carpet? If you are just
going to pound some finish nails down thru the floor to try and quiet the
squeak, you can probably do that pretty safely right thru the carpet. Stop
hammering with the nail where you can still get at it and use a nail set to
drive it the rest of the way thru the carpet, pad, and set it slightlybelow
the surface of the floor.

If you use finishing nails, probably shoudl use two, at opposite
angles from vertical. If you use just one, the wood will slide up and
down the nail, but at different angles the wood can't move at all,.

"D'Olier" wrote in message
I want to fix some squeaky floorboards myself in a long (10' x 3') hallway.
I'm nervous however, about pulling up the carpet as I would have to put it
back. If it was the corner of a room, no problem. But how do I go about
pulling up such a long stretch? I assume the carpet joins are under
doorways and maybe near the top of the stairs. Is rejoining it easy?

Thanks.