Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren Oren is offline

Default Those Noisy Fan Motors

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 22:25:46 -0500, "jackson"
wrote:

My computer power supply fan is terribly noisy when I first turn it
on. After a few minutes it quiets down and is fine till the next time
I turn on the computer. Then I go in my barn and turn on an electric
heater and the fan in there is just as noisy, but it too quiets down
once the thing is running for a few minutes. Why do these small fan
motors do that? If a bearing was bad, I dont think they would quiet
down. I just learn to live with the noise as long as the motors run.

G.T.
Hmmm,
Lubrication? And heat makes things expand. Those DC fans are not
terribly high quality.

They need oil. On the computer fan, most can be lubricated by removing the
paper label right in the center. few drops of oil, and a piece of tape and
it's quiet.

Bull****. They wear out and by the time howling has started, no
lubrication
will quiet them. Just replace the worn out thing if you really want to
repair it.

I concur, never attempt to lubricate one of those small computer fans,
ESPECIALLY ONE INSIDE YOUR POWER SUPPLY! This could be an indicator that
the fan in the power supply is about to give it up. If that is the case
replace the power supply before the fan does die and the power supply tanks
and takes other more important and heat sensitive components with it.
But....... if the machine has always done this since new, and it is a fairly
new machine, it is quite possible that you have a thermostatically
controlled cooling fan in there and on boot up it does a self-test and fires
up at full speed. YMMV.

I imagine any lubricate that may cause further damage to the
motherboard will void a warranty.

I replace the dang power supply. Noise is telling me the computer
needs attention - same with any other fan in the box.

--
Oren