Posted to uk.d-i-y
Newshound Newshound is offline

Default Water leakage through party wall into cellar.

"avocado" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a terraced house with a cellar. For 2 years it has been dry
with an occasional slight smell of damp. About a month ago it filled
up with about an inch of water. Over the weekend I dried it out
completely, but this evening water has started to flow in through the
party wall, about 4 or 5 litres in half an hour. I went next door and
asked the lady if her cellar is dry. She went to look on her own and
pronounced it dry. I'm not sure if I believe her.

What do I do? The water is definately coming from the party wall on
her side. Will the buildings insurance investgate this? What does the
party wall act cover?

I used to live in a victorian terraced house where one of the drain pipes (I
forget whether it was rain or bathroom) was actually concealed within the
party wall, creating a small lake under the neighbour's floor when it
failed. Lucky for me it didn't get in my cellar.