Posted to alt.home.repair
AZ Nomad AZ Nomad is offline

Default Those Noisy Fan Motors

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 23:37:33 -0600, wrote:

My computer power supply fan is terribly noisy when I first turn it
on. After a few minutes it quiets down and is fine till the next time
I turn on the computer. Then I go in my barn and turn on an electric
heater and the fan in there is just as noisy, but it too quiets down
once the thing is running for a few minutes. Why do these small fan
motors do that? If a bearing was bad, I dont think they would quiet
down. I just learn to live with the noise as long as the motors run.

Your computer has the finest power supply that seven dollars will buy
you. That leaves about forty cents for the fan. I recomend you splurge
and get a $30 replacement power supply and the howling will end.