Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Those Noisy Fan Motors

True, but there are ultra quiet power supplies available also, with fan
speeds controlled by the temperature of the power supply components.
Depending on the brand of computer the OP has, the quality of power supply,
and other fans, may be the cheapest available with a short working life. A
few extra bucks buys better components, but they may not be available from
many manufacturers.

"Gerry Atrick" wrote in message
On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 11:37:09 -0500, "EXT"
wrote:

Check the internet, there is a whole specialized market producing products
with quiet fans, quiet power supplies, chip coolers and other products to
silently remove the heat. If your fan is too noisy, upgrades are
available.
Many upper grade mother boards will control the fan speed according to the
temperature of the CPU chip.

Yeah, but thats the CPU fan not the power supply fan.

"Stubby" wrote in message
m...
That's very simplistic. What about changing the fan pitch? The duct
shape? Load-dependent speed?

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
wrote in message
My computer power supply fan is terribly noisy when I first turn it
on. After a few minutes it quiets down and is fine till the next time
I turn on the computer. Then I go in my barn and turn on an electric
heater and the fan in there is just as noisy, but it too quiets down
once the thing is running for a few minutes. Why do these small fan
motors do that? If a bearing was bad, I dont think they would quiet
down. I just learn to live with the noise as long as the motors run.

G.T.
Fan designers have two principal ways of increasing output. Increase
horsepower or increase r.p.m. Increasing speed is a lot cheaper than
horsepower, ergo, NOISE.

Ivan Vegvary