Posted to alt.home.repair
Kyle Kyle is offline

Default Bedroom without closet- options and alternatives?

On Jan 26, 4:15 pm, wrote:
[snip]
Because the room is small, around 12x12, I was hesitant to convert
something that would remove 18" + from one wall.

I understand completely, having just spent half this weekend looking
at teeny-tiny rental houses in Hagerstown, Maryland, where my wife and
I are moving for my new position. A room 10.5x12 is just too small for
anyone over age 3.

A thought I had since you mention you're in the Dee-Cee area: a few
years ago my wife and I bought some very nice upright chests from SCAN
Furniture (three stores in D.C. area and one in Columbia) with drawers
on the right and a door on the left. I took out the shelves and used
some maple 1x3 to craft braces to rest on the shelving pins which
would hold a hanger bar. The whole chest is fairly compact - 4' high
by 3' wide - but holds a great deal and the top is treated with
polyurethane to resist (for a while at least) that wet drinking glass.
Might be a possibility?

Even without a closet, these rooms are considered bedrooms in our city.

Even by the real estate and tax assessment laws of your county/
township? Wow, I'd hate to try selling your friend's seven bedroom
house when only a couple rooms have closets! Yikers...