Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Andy Dingley Andy Dingley is offline

Default Wire Burning

On 29 Jan, 13:53, "Tom Dougall" wrote:

I would like to try some wire burning on some napkin rings I have turned.

First tof all, make some simple wooden stick handles to hold the wire
without having your fingers anywhere near it!

1. Which is the best type of wire to use?

Soft, non-rusting, heat-resistant and likely to retain all three
qualities. I use soft stainless steel lockwire, from an engineering,
motor-racing or aircraft supplier. Every toolbox should have a roll of
this stuff! Aerospace baler twine.

For thin stuff I use nichrome resistance wire (heater element),
although I can snap this by hand if I pull too hard.

2. Should the wire be held taught or loose on the wood?

Loose, then gradually pulled tight around a small curvature of the
wood. Only an inch or so should be tight and burning at a time.

3. Should the the lathe be at high or low speed?

Low, so you can control it. Doesn't take long and it's easy to overdo
it.

If you get white lines with black sides, you're pulling too hard
(charring the sides, scrubbing through the middle)