Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] l.vanderloo@rogers.com is offline

Default Wire Burning

Hi Tom

Tom I have used different wires, not only different metal but also
size wise, copper won't stand up it'll break, brass is much better,
stainless is much better and just mild steel wire will work fine also.

Cut a starting groove so your wire is not running away from the spot
where you started, and keep your wire lined up with the direction of
the line on your wood, but on a curved or sloping sides the wire
wants to slip down even with a little groove cut.

For the curved sides I have used a sharp bone wedge, very dense wood
works also to make burned grooves.

Depending the width of the burn line you want, you need thinner or
thicker wire, and I find a thin sharp defined line looks better
usually on smaller pieces.

I used to just hold the wire with a pair of vicegrip pliers, but then
kept loosing the wires, so I made a Burning tool, one with 2 dowels on
the ends, wrapped around the dowel twice, then around itself a couple
of times, I used a length of piano wire, you can get that in different
sizes, haven't lost it yet, and it works well, it's easy to hold and I
don't get hot fingers.

The heat build up while you hold down the wire against the wood, only
if it turns, the faster the less time to cool down and the quicker the
heat buildup, the longer the contact area the greater the resistance,
and in turn the more heat generated.

So the more feet per minute the more heat for the same pressure and
the same length of surface contact, you van change these values, but
all the pressure with no slippage will generate no heat, a lot of
slippage needs only a little pressure for heat generation.

And Yes be careful, the wood will tend to grab the wire the moment the
wood surface changes and starts to burn, so no wires around your
fingers, also that wire gets VERY hot, don't burn yourself.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum12.html

On Jan 29, 8:53 am, "Tom Dougall" wrote:
Hi Group,

I would like to try some wire burning on some napkin rings I have turned.
I have a few questions which I hope you will answer for me.

1. Which is the best type of wire to use?

2. Should the wire be held taught or loose on the wood?

3. Should the the lathe be at high or low speed?

Thank you in advance. Tom