Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Old guy Old guy is offline

Default Wire Burning

I agree with most of what was said.

I use whatever wire is handy--several widths. 1 is soft (iron) mechanics
wire. two are stiffer model airplane control wires. Always wanted to use
some wire violin strings, but never found any when I needed them.

I bought a some 1" wood beads, drilled thru them for handles. I figured
they would pull out of my hand if the wire got caught on something.

I found that a light groove, a touch with the corner of a skew or parting
tool, lets me start the wire right where I want it, and keeps it from
slipping.

I usually sand the wood down to about 240 grit before I burn, then lightly
sand the burn with 320 grit.

Speed about medium. Press down on the wire to start it, and heat it up,
then press hard for the mark.

Easier done than talked about. Do 5 then you'll be an expert.

Old Guy

"Tom Dougall" wrote in message
Hi Group,

I would like to try some wire burning on some napkin rings I have turned.
I have a few questions which I hope you will answer for me.

1. Which is the best type of wire to use?

2. Should the wire be held taught or loose on the wood?

3. Should the the lathe be at high or low speed?

Thank you in advance. Tom