Posted to rec.woodworking

Default MDF ok for rail and stiles?

I think it is great stuff where appropriate. Like all materials they
have both appropriate uses and inappropriate.

I love making templates from MDF if they will be short lived. Very
easy to shape with any type of cutter. I also like it as underlayment
when you want to add some heaft to a project. I've used it laminated
under under 3/4 ply to thicken table tops to 1-1/2" and add some
weight. It works great as a replacable bench top, dividers and back
boards in some projects, they even make entire single piece cabinet
doors from it which is fine when they do the thermal shrink coatings.
It is indenspeible as a CNC bed, etc. etc.

BW

On Jan 29, 12:40 pm, "Mike Marlow" wrote:
"trs80" wrote in ...

On a raised panel cabinet door thats 22 x 44", would 3/4" MDF provide
adequate structure for the rail and stiles also? The rail and stiles are
3" wide.

It would use MDF for the raised panel and rather then floating (as is
necessary for a solid wood door), the panel would be glued all around the

4
edges providing added structural strength. Further, I think this also

would
use 3 hinges when using the Blum type hidden hinges.

I could use cheap dry 2x4 milled to size also for the rail and stile, but
sticking with MDF would reduce the work load.

Any thoughts of your experience are appreciated?If you don't mind a material that cannot stand up to normal use without

showing dents, dings and other deformities, then by all means use MDF. The
stuff is pure junk and should be relegated to the home improvement shows on
TV.

--

-Mike-