Posted to rec.woodworking
RayV RayV is offline

Default MDF ok for rail and stiles?

On Jan 29, 1:29 pm, "trs80" wrote:
On a raised panel cabinet door thats 22 x 44", would 3/4" MDF provide
adequate structure for the rail and stiles also? The rail and stiles are
3" wide.

It would use MDF for the raised panel and rather then floating (as is
necessary for a solid wood door), the panel would be glued all around the 4
edges providing added structural strength. Further, I think this also would
use 3 hinges when using the Blum type hidden hinges.

I could use cheap dry 2x4 milled to size also for the rail and stile, but
sticking with MDF would reduce the work load.

Any thoughts of your experience are appreciated?

I installed MDF base molding in my house and was so impressed I
thought I discovered electricity. Several months have gone by and the
stuff is starting to look crappy. Yes MDF machines easily and
produces crisp lines but it can't take a shot. The slightest bump
with something will leave a mark or a chip. Also consider the holding
power of screws in MDF, will the hinges hold in the MDF? I would go
with Poplar or similar.