Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred fred is offline

Default Electric storage heaters - older still available?

In article , dave
writes
On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 08:10:41 GMT, FKruger
wrote:

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 23:07:23 GMT, dave wrote:

We have some old storage heaters (safety tested and working fine) on a
tariff that gives them two power cycles per day. (Unlike E7 with one,
as I understand it.

I just wonder if these older storage heaters are still available from
anywhere? I've heard all sort of stories about E7 with the heaters
being too cold before the next cycle. I know this could be as they
could be the wrong heaters/settings etc - but at the moment it would
be nice to know if I could replace our existing heaters had to.
Thanks

All storage heaters will work on either tarrif so no problem.

I was thinking that an E7 heater would (on our older tariff) get two
cycles a day when it only needs one, so cost much more to run.
Actually now you say that - I suppose the thermostat will only ask for
power when the setpoint is reached so maybe situation is not as I
thought (not as bad anyway). (?)

You're right, you can set the stat (input) and delivery (output) controls to
suit your needs and I'd expect you to be able to get away with less input or
smaller heaters on the tariff you describe. Is it E10 or something else?

Do watch out for tariff creep, my father was conned into using under-floor
off-peak electric heating in the early sixties (2 periods per 24hrs) based on
a very generous off peak discount but by the nineties the discount was
negligible and their heating bill was eye-watering.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla