Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeffy3 Jeffy3 is offline

Default Short in Refrigerator : Fire Hazard?

On Jan 28, 11:34 pm, mm wrote:
On 28 Jan 2007 17:01:54 -0800, "Jeffy3" wrote:

We've been told we have a short in our refrig and it still works but
while we await a new refrigerator my wife is worried that it is a fire
risk. Anyone have any thoughts? We have a 50 year old house and the
outlet it is plugged into is not a GFI.Why did you call a repairman in the first place?

Also,

Who told you you had a short?

I actually posted this situation in a separate thread. Our refrig
froze up over last weekend while we were away. Appliance guy said it
was the thermostat, but when he came back with the thermostat and he
had disconnected it from the wire harness, it continued to run so he
was baffled! He then said it wasn't the thermostat but instead a
short because when he moved the refrig a few inches from the wall, it
would run fine but if he pushed it back against the wall where it
usually sits, it would stop working. So we decided to get a new
refrig but weren't in a rush as could live with it pulled away from
our wall a couple of inches for a few days until we got a chance to
get a new one. Well then coincidentally or not, a tiny hole popped in
our ice maker's copper water line so we ran a new line over the
weekend and I was trying to attach it to the hose on the back of the
refrig, I got an electric shock that scared the crap out of me.
We'll be ordering the new refrig tonight