Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Southern Electric say each mobile phone charger uses 100kWhoursa DAY!

Roger R wrote:
"Jonathan" wrote in message
Have a look - how can they get it so wrong by a magnitude of.....???

Clearly shome mistake.

It might be interesting to know just how many million of these 'little black
boxes' (wall warts) are plugged in 24/7 and how much power is used to keep
them energised - even when the mobile is away being used.

I have three little black boxes, but it is hardly worth worrying about when
I'm running a 2 KW electric fire, an immersion heater, a washing machine and
a tumble drier.

Roger R

The moment you are running the elctric fire, the wallwarts are zero
carbon opportunity cost, since you are using electrical power to heat
anyway.

The same goes for full water kettles, inefficient incandescent lamps and
the like.

One can imagine that if we had a fully integrated nuclear electric power
generation scenario, that use of electrical heating and wasteful
electrical products would be positively beneficial, if it meant that we
didn't need to use gas or oil to heat our homes.

I can see it now "Government initiative to replace CFL lamps with
'combined heat and light' lamps" .. "wasting energy is green" says
Greenpeace.."Rock star buys 500KW electric sports car"

and so on..