Posted to alt.home.repair
w_tom w_tom is offline

Default Microwave oven goes kaput

With each recommendation to replace the fuse should have been this
warning. Lethal voltages can remain inside a microwave even when
disconnected from AC mains. Technicians have been killed when they
'forgot' about that lethal voltage.

Second, fuse must have both same current rating AND same voltage
rating. Reason why that fuse is not glass? Encased in opaque white:
so that fuse does not explode when it blows.

If fuse voltage rating is too low, then fuse will not operate like a
fuse on 120 or 230 volt systems.

On Jan 28, 10:20 pm, Mark Lloyd wrote:
I have a JC Penney microwave made around 1985 (before they stopped
selling non-clothes stuff). 5 years later it stopped working. I
removed the cover, knowing there was almost nothing I could do to fix
it. I found a blown fuse and replaced it with one from Radio Shack.
The microwave is still working today.