Posted to alt.home.repair
Coloradotrout Coloradotrout is offline

Default GE Frige evaporator coils freezes-up

I have not read the other posts, but had a similar experience w/i the year.

I have an Amana bottom freezer.

There is a defrost timer in series with a thermostat in series with the
heater element. My thermostat was bad. I had 110v to the thermostat, but
0v to the heater element when the defrost timer was on. I suppose there are
many ways out there to do this, it will depend on your unit. The mfg or
retailer might be able to give you the diagram.

"Frank from Deeeetroit" wrote in message
I have a 4 year old GE side by side refrigerator. The evaporator coils
freeze-up about once a month. We have to un-plug the 'fridge and let the
coils thaw out for the unit tro run properly.

One other symptom, one of the two light bulbs (the upper one) in the
refrigator side of the unit will not work. A new bulb will not work, the
switch is good, the second bulb works.

I have a basic understanding of the system. I thawed out the coils two

days
ago and vacuumed out the area under the 'frige, behind the bottom grill.
Where do I start the troubleshooting?

Thanx

Frank