Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default 12v bulb ID needed

In article , rb wrote:
A guy looked at a 12v bulb socket in one of my tools and told me I need a
generic 1056 bulb.

I've searched all over with Google, Froogle, Ebay, Radio Shack, JC Whitney,
etc, and can't find anything on a 1056 bulb. He talked like they're
common.

Anyone know where I find one? My socket looks a bit worn, so I'd like to
get a new socket too.

I google for: 1056 "miniature lamps"

An early hit is:
http://www.replacementlightbulbs.com...indnumber.html

The line that has 1056 also mentions 1156 - a common backup light bulb
that is available in all decent auto parts stores, probably also Target
and K-Mart.

If the socket looks like one that an 1156 would fit into, I say go for
it - with one second thought:

The 1056/1156 draws 2.1 amps - a lot for a 12V bulb on a power tool.
I think more reasonable is the 93 bulb, which draws about half that, also
widely available at auto parts stores and in some hardware stores since a
few desk lamps use 93 bulbs! Same base and socket as 1156!

Back to the drawing board if a 93 won't fit!

As for replacement socket - if the bulb is one available at an auto
parts store, perhaps a socket is available for maybe $10 and probably not
quite the same in terms of fit and mounting! I would try to clean off
corrosion with really fine sandpaper or the like!

- Don Klipstein )