Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] meintv@gmail.com is offline

Default Garage Door Opener problem

Hi,
This is about a Craftsman chain drive garage door opener made in 1996.
It stopped working a few days ago, and after disassembling it, it was
obvious that the gear and sprocket needed to be replaced. I did
replace those parts, but after putting everything back under the
ceiling again, the door won't move much anymore.
The chain moves a few inches in one direction, then reverses, moves a
few inches in the other direction and then stops. This occurs
independent of whether the door is locked into the chain, or whether
the chain moves without the door.
Of course, I had to loosen the chain during the installation, so does
this sound like I tightened it too much (or not enough?) when
reinstalling it?
Or could this be a safety "auto reverse" issue? But would that also
explain what happens when the door is disconnected? Are the three
wires that go into in the back of the unit part of the auto reverse
process?
Most importantly, I would of course like to find out how to solve the
problem, so any suggestion would very much be appreciated.
Thanks,
Tim.