Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Working on ceiling in stairwell

"Eigenvector" wrote in message

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "Eigenvector"
wrote:
What's the typical method for working on the ceiling of a stairwell? The
only reason why I ask is that even with an 8 foot ladder, it's simply not
possible to reach the ceiling safely, especially when the staircase
effectively lowers the floor by 6 feet and turns that 8 foot ceiling into
14 foot ceiling.

I'm thinking the easiest solution would be to build an L shaped platform
lay on the stairs but wasn't sure if there's a simpler solution that
doesn't
involve creaky underdesigned platforms that give way right as I climb up
on
the ladder I set down on the platform.

Well, that's exactly what I did in a similar situation: built an L-shaped
platform from 2x3 angle iron bolted together, with more of the same as
diagonal bracing (probably over-engineered, but the previous owners left
huge pile of the stuff in the garage -- it was there, it was free, might
as
well use it) and a cut-down sheet of 3/4" plywood across the top as a
platform. Very, very sturdy.

--
Regards,

Well I guess I do have all that flooring that I'm tearing out of the
basement. Plenty of 1/4 rotten 2x4s and 3/4" tongue and groove plywood.

The worst that can happen is that the stairs collapse under my 280 lbs and
I fall and break my spine and arms. Why not?

I realize you jest, but for all the DIYs on here doing a project like this
for the first time-

You ain't 18 any more. Keeping your balance on a bouncy plank while doing
careful painting or other work, will be harder and more tiring than you
think. And if you fall, it will take a long and irritating time healing up,
assuming you don't do permanent damage. If you don't have the skill set and
experience to site-fabricate a safe comfortable work platform, either rent
the proper scaffolding at the rentall store, or hire the work out.

This is said in all kindness. Last year, in my immediate circle of
coworkers, 2 different middle-aged guys were seriously injured in falls of
less than eight feet, from improper work platforms, while helping friends or
relatives work on their houses. Lots of time off work, lots of expense, lots
of pain. They are both damn lucky to be walking, and both will have fun at
airport security for the rest of their lives from all the metal added to
them. It ain't the short fall that is the problem, it is how you land, and
what you land on.

And just like confined-space work, high work has a number one rule- NEVER
WORK ALONE. You always want someone there to call the ambulance and rescue
squad.

Lecture mode off. Enjoy....

aem sends....