Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default R value confusion

mgarvie wrote:
I'm getting ready to remodel my bathroom and figured I would replace
what was placed in the exterior walls and called insullation back in
1957 (one inch of fiberglass mat). I was looking at either the rigid
pink foam or styrofoam insulation. There is a big difference in
price for 4x8 sheets but only a difference in 2 R value. I've read
what I could and still don't understand what a difference of 2 R
would make. Can someone explain or point me to a site where in
REALLY simple terms I can find out what an "R" really is?

You say you want to "replace" what was "in the exterior walls?" I don't
think you want rigid foam if you are replacing it. Now if you are adding to
it by making the walls thicker, that is a different matter.

I would avoid Styrofoam. Get that stuff hot as in a fire and it is very
very nasty. You also will be required to take certain precautions to meet
building code if you use it. I don't know how much better the pink is but
it has to be better.

Assuming you are adding it, where are you adding it (interior surface or
exterior)? Have you considered the problems associated with making walls
thicker? Window trim electrical outlets etc.?

Assuming you are replacing what is there, I would assume you are then
removing a wall surface and I would choose professionally applied foam in
place or roll fiberglass.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit