Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller Toller is offline

Default R value confusion

"mgarvie" wrote in message
m...
I'm getting ready to remodel my bathroom and figured I would replace what
was placed in the exterior walls and called insullation back in 1957 (one
inch of fiberglass mat). I was looking at either the rigid pink foam or
styrofoam insulation. There is a big difference in price for 4x8 sheets
but only a difference in 2 R value. I've read what I could and still
don't understand what a difference of 2 R would make. Can someone explain
or point me to a site where in REALLY simple terms I can find out what an
"R" really is?

R is resistance to heat transmission. R20 isn't all that much different
than R18. R4 is very different than R2.