Posted to alt.home.repair
Coloradotrout Coloradotrout is offline

Default plumbing - main water line repair

The own up to the meter. Unfortunately this section is between the meter
and my house. They would not even come out and locate the line.
Fortunately the sink hole was right over the leak.

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
oups.com...
Do you know what you own vs. what the water authority owns? Is it
possible that the water authority is responsible for the PVC section
and it's their responsible to fix it? Perhaps at sometime they
replaced their old copper with PVC up to the point where the homeowner
owns the rest.

That's what they did with my sewers a few years ago, so maybe it's the
same wih your water.

On Jan 28, 1:20 pm, "Coloradotrout"
wrote:
I have a 15 year-old home.

Water line between street(meter) and home was leaking (line is about 60
feet).

A large sinkhole developed. I dug down 7' to find the solid copper line
from the house joined to PVC. The connection was as follows.

3/4" copper line from house (10') -- brazed to 1" female

connector -- 1"
male nipple w/ threads to 3/4" male threaded fitting (solid brass) --

PVC
3/4" female thread to 3/4" slip -- 3/4" pvc pipe

The PVC slip connector sheared off. All of these are RH threads, and no
unions. So it all had to be assembled sequentially.

How do I fix this? The right solution in my mind is to run a new trench

and
lay continuous copper. I don't believe that is feasible. We are

looking to
spend another 1-2 years here. But I hate leaving anyone a problem

waiting
to happen. Going to Lowes/HD, the best I can come up with is:

3/4" copper line from house -- 3/4" union -- short copper pipe --

3/4"
male thread adapter -- 3/4" PVC female thread adapter to slip -- pvc

pipe

The original solution was 4 joints. The above is 6. Thoughts?

(would a
3/4" female adapter -- 3/4" male pvc to slip be better)

I can do basic sweating of copper. But I've never brazed. Should my

copper
joints be brazed?

Thoughts? Ideas? Volunteers (just kidding.. at least half way)