Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default Working on ceiling in stairwell

On Jan 28, 2:00 am, "Eigenvector" wrote:
What's the typical method for working on the ceiling of a stairwell? The
only reason why I ask is that even with an 8 foot ladder, it's simply not
possible to reach the ceiling safely, especially when the staircase
effectively lowers the floor by 6 feet and turns that 8 foot ceiling into a
14 foot ceiling.

I'm thinking the easiest solution would be to build an L shaped platform to
lay on the stairs but wasn't sure if there's a simpler solution that doesn't
involve creaky underdesigned platforms that give way right as I climb up on
the ladder I set down on the platform.

..
Would it be safest and most flexible to rent one of those 'little
giant' ladders advertised on TV that can be offset (unequal legs) so
as to adjust to the slope of the stairs?
If/when I can afford I might buy one! Cos other uses.
Another alternate to just paint up to that 14 foot above floor height
might be a self made ladder (2 by 4 etc.) about ten feet long? with
the bottom of the legs unequal by the height of one step?